Energy Saving Tips
Here are some of Baker Petroleum's recommendations for saving energy in your home or workplace today:
- Get a heating system tune up – it’ll ensure you get maximum performance from every drop of oil or propane burned.
- Open shades and drapes when the sun is out and let it help warm your home. Close them when the sun goes down.
- Turn back the thermostat at night or when you are away from home; for every degree you lower your thermostat 8 hours or more each day; you’ll save 2 percent on your heating bill
- Wrap your pipes to guard against heat loss and prevent them from freezing.
- Stop drafts by eliminating any gaps between your door and the threshold on the floor. Use a bottom seal that can be attached to the bottom of the door – it should brush up against the floor to seal up the threshold.
- Caulk or re-caulk exterior spaces between windows and walls of your home.
- Close the kitchen vent, fireplace damper and closet doors when not in use.
- If you have central air conditioning, close your vent(s) to the outside.
- Remove air conditioning window units, or cover them to keep cold air outside.
- Keep radiators and registers free of dust for top efficiency.